Matt McMahon meets the South Coast Big Band – Friday, 17th of June 2022:
Featuring the incredible jazz pianist Matt McMahon, the 19-piece South Coast Big Band will bring a powerhouse of energy to his specially orchestrated compositions. An all-star lineup of soloists along with originals and arrangements by Des Cannings, Deven Rahan, and Kyle Eardley will have you on the edge of your seat for the entirety of the performance.
Matt McMahon is one of Australia’s leading jazz pianists and composers. Winning the Wangaratta National Jazz Piano Award’ in 1999, and the Freedman Jazz Fellowship in 2005 established his place in Australian jazz. In 2010 his trio supported the Wayne Shorter Quartet at Sydney Opera House. McMahon is also the musical director for vocalist and trumpeter Vince Jones.
Musically directed by trombonist and composer Des Cannings, the South Coast Big Band has progressed to being one of the premier jazz orchestras in the country. In 2019 the band celebrated their 10th anniversary by recording and releasing their first album “Alma”.
- Piano, composer, and guest artist – Matt McMahon
- Voice – Tiana Young
- Guitar – Callum Burns
- Keyboard – Paddy Kelly
- Double Bass – Harry Birch
- Drums – George Greenhill
- Lead alto and soprano saxophones, clarinet – Tessie Overmyer
- Alto saxophone, flute, and clarinet – Hinano Fujisaki
- Tenor saxophone, flute, and clarinet – Mariela Mulder
- Tenor and baritone saxophones, clarinet and bass clarinet – Tye Langford
- Baritone saxophone and bass clarinet – Laura Power
- Lead trumpet, composer and arranger – Deven Rahman
- 2nd trumpet and flugelhorn and composer – Kyle Eardley
- 3rd trumpet and flugelhorn – Joseph Lisk
- 4th trumpet and flugelhorn – Heather Prowse
- 5th trumpet and flugelhorn – Sarah Purdon
- Lead trombone, musical director, composer, and arranger – Des Cannings
- 2nd trombone – Cailey Soon
- 3rd Trombone – Jack Lincoln
- Bass trombone – Nick Barnard
This concert is presented by SIMA.
FIND OUT MORE: